Monday, March 12, 2012

GERUND (GRAMMAR FOCUS)

Gerund is Verb + ing but it is not verb, it is noun.
we can use Gerund as Subject, Object, Complement, and as compound wods.


1. AS SUBJECT


examples:
- Cooking foods takes a lot of time.
- Swimming makes us healthy
- Cycling is not as easy way to learn.
- Being beautiful makes her a little bit arrogant.


note:
- gerund is always singular.


2. AS OBJECT


Examples:
- She enjoys reading a horror novels.
- They dont mind opening the door.
- my mother doesnt like my seeing him too often.


Note:
here are some words followed by gerund (object):
- admit
- appreciate
- anticipate
- Deny
- delay
- detest
- enjoy
- excuse
- finish
- fancy
- forgive
- keep
- mind
- practice
- postpone
- prevent
- resist
- risk
- understand


here are some vers followed by either Gerund or To - Infinitive:
- advice
- allow
- begin
- continue
- dislike
- forget
- hate
- intend
- like
- love
- mean
- neglect
- permit
- prefer
- propose
- regret
- propose
- regret
- remember
- start
- stop
- try


check the different!!!
- my teacher advises talking extra course at home
- my teacher advises me to take extra course at home.


- he forgets calling me at the mid of that night.
(he called me one day but he does not remember when)
- he forgets to call me.
(he forgets that he has to call me)


- I really like swimming (my hobby is swimming)
- It is very hot today. I really like to swim. (I want to swim now as the day is so hot)




3. AS COMPLEMENT
Examples:
- my hobby is writing poetry
- my favorite sport is running




4. AS COMPOUND WORDS
- the waiting room is so hot without air conditioner
- my father is now cleaning the swimming pool.


Gerund can also put after preposition.
Examples:
- I am afraid of making mistakes.







No comments:

Post a Comment