Wednesday, January 25, 2012

CAUSATIVE (ENGLISH GRAMMAR)

causative is a sentence which shows a relationship between the subject and the objeck where the Subject causes the object to:
- do something (Active Caustaive)
- be done something (by Someone else - Passive Causative)

here is the formula:
I. ACTIVE CAUSATIVE
 1. S + HAVE / MAKE + ACTIVE OBJECT + V-1 (WITHOUT S/ES)
Example : 
- They made me clean the floor (I clean the floor for them)
- the teacher had the students do their homework yesterday. (the students did their homework because the teacher asked them)

2. S + GET/ASK + ACTIVE OBJECT + TO - V1
Example:
- we will ask our son to fix his bike (our son will fix his bike because we ask him to do it).
- she was getting me to sweep the floor. (I was sleeping the floor for her)

II. PASSIVE CAUSATIVE
S + HAVE / MAKE / GET / ASK + PASSIVE OBJECT + V-3
Example :
- mother is asking the fish cooked (the fish must be cooked because mother says so)
- my sister had her dresses made (my sister asked someone to make her dresses)
- John will make his car washed. (John will ask someone to wash his car)

NOTE:
pay Attention to the use of HAVE: 

1. have + noun (belong to) : I have a lot of money
2. have + to V1 (must) : I had to finish my job.
3. have + V-3/ Been (finish doing something) : she has called her parents.
4. have + noun + V1/ V3 (causative) : they have the man paint the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment